Old 14-01-2006, 11:15 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default beard alage

In article ,
Grae wrote:
rty double dosing flourish excel, it works!! i have used it before and its
actually good for your tank/plants as well

if I let things go a while and don't fertilize or change water often
enough I get staghorn, thread, beard and who knpows what other
kinds of algae.

I simply go out and get some Flourish Excel, use per the instructions
and it's usualy turned white on the third day and simly dissolves.

You can shock alage by changung 80% of the water two days in a row,
then chnage 50% once a week ans it shouldn't come back. Vacuum the
gravel if you have it, lots of crud sits there, enough to pollute
the water again if it has the chance.

There are complicated legal reasons why SeaChem says nothing
about it's algae killi properties - these have been discussed
in this group many time and can be found by googling the web.

The only thing they will say officially is if you're trying
to grow "moss balls": (Cladophora algae) then use of Flourish
Excel is expected to have a deleterious efect on them.

Fertiize as per Tom Barr's Estimative Index and you should not have
algae coma back; oddly it's the lack or nutrients in a planted
tank that causes algae, not too much of something.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net