Old 22-02-2003, 05:50 AM
Alan Gould

Default Seed potatoes

In article , Ron
writes
Can anyone advise me when seed potatoes will become available. And when to
start planting them. Additionally I intend planting them in compost filled
dustbins, so should I fill 1/3 with compost and then mound the plants up
with additional compost as they grow untill I reach the top of the bins?
Thanks for any advice offered

Potato seed have been available for some time now. They can be bought at
garden centres, nurseries, DIY stores etc. and they can be mail-ordered
from catalogues or websites. Planting can begin as soon as the tubers
are chitted up - i.e. they have fresh growth shoots showing on them, and
as soon as suitable conditions can be provided for them in terms of
temperature and growing medium. For outside growing in most parts of UK,
mid-April is early enough to be sure that the plants will not suffer
from frost when they show above the ground.

Huge crops of potatoes can be gained from one tuber by the dustbin
method you describe if the plan is carefully followed. The plant tops
need to be kept showing above the soil surface, so earthing up needs to
be done in several small stages, taking the soil up to the neck of the
plant. Some additional light will be needed in daytime when they are
trying to grow at first in the lower part of the dustbin and a minimum
growing temperature of about 10C/52F needs to be maintained at all times
for protection - higher for continuous growing.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.