Old 14-01-2006, 08:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default Hedges

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 11:00:57 -0000
"PammyT" wrote:

]
] "Charlie Pridham" wrote in message
] ...
]
[]
] If it were me I would put in a lightweight screen for instant privacy

and
] plant Yew, green or gold (but not mixed!) Its easy to maintain and the
] birds
] love it to nest in and feed off.
] And yes its poisonous - but only if you eat it!
]
] Or a cotoneaster hedge or mixed with cotoneaster, pyracantha, berberis.
] Nice and prickly for security and has flowers and berries for birds and

bees
] and evergreenish.Stick a few rosa rugosa in too and it'll look lovely.

Not
] sure if it'll get to 6 foot though.
] If you want instant privacy a fence would be better.
]
]

That's a pretty sounding hedge, alright. How about a little
variegated euonymus for year round color, too?

Berberis darwinii certainly reaches 6 ft, pyracantha no problem,
there are some big cotoneasters (lactea?).

Will look less tidy than yew, of course.

Berberis darwinii is very very pretty indeed. One of my favourites. As you
say not so tidy but certainly very pretty indeed.