Old 14-01-2006, 11:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Emery Davis

Default Hedges

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:48:48 -0000
"PammyT" wrote:

]
] "Emery Davis" wrote in message
] ...
[]
] Berberis darwinii certainly reaches 6 ft, pyracantha no problem,
] there are some big cotoneasters (lactea?).
]
] Will look less tidy than yew, of course.
] Berberis darwinii is very very pretty indeed. One of my favourites. As you
] say not so tidy but certainly very pretty indeed.
]
]

I've got a few of them growing here and there, 2 right by the gateposts
that are just starting to put on some serious growth. Only possible
complaint it that they do tend to have a bit of dead wood. Was just
noticing some cutting back needed on one that takes a lot of wind.

Oddly this plant seems to thrive on polluted conditions. A local
petrol station had one growing just next to the very oily service
area. The thing was easily 9 ft high and 12 in diameter. Must have
suckered like crazy. Sadly the place changed hands last year and
the new owner took it out.

Love the masses of yellow flowers tinged with orange, spectacular,
and the little holly-like leaves are pretty year round. Never gotten
many berries off of mine, though...

-E
--
Emery Davis