Old 15-01-2006, 02:17 AM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Apple spraying?

"cat daddy" wrote in message

Persephone wrote in message ...
On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:40:12 -0600, "Ron H" wrote:

OK, It's a moderately nice January day and I finished pruning the apple
trees. Looks like it's going to be a great year for apples but I need to
know the what, when, where, and how much of spraying apples trees to
fend
off both predator and disease!

Any advice, references, etc???

Ron H.
West Central Wisconsin

Piggy-backing on Ron's question, I've always heard that apples are THE
most sprayed of all crops, and that one should avoid the seeds and
peel at the very least. And preferably eat organic apples.

Is this true about the spraying? Does it apply only to large
commercial orchards (maybe Ron's IS a l.c.o.).

Looking forward to the wisdom of Those Who Know.

Report Card: Pesticides in Produce
http://www.foodnews.org/reportcard.php
"...peaches leading the list, then strawberries, apples and nectarines."

Pesticides in Apples
http://www.foodnews.org/highpest.php?prod=PFR20N01&
Pesticides were found on 91 percent of the apples tested.
There were 36 pesticides found on apples:

12 Most Contaminated
Buy These Organic

. Apples
. Bell Peppers
. Celery
. Cherries
. Imported Grapes
. Nectarines
. Peaches
. Pears
. Potatoes
. Red Raspberries
. Spinach
. Strawberries

Or, grow some of them yourself, if possible. In my garden (upstate NY), I've
never had any reason to spray peppers, potatoes, raspberries, spinach or
strawberries. They all turn out flawless. Climate is a factor, as is the
time of year the crops are grown, relative to the life cycle of certain
pests.