Old 15-01-2006, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT

In article ,
§tudz wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

The bleach thing never really worked well. Proper fertilization
and water changes are all you need. Flourish excel will speed up
the algae decline.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net

Bleaching works well for most users on here, including myself, where as
using a chemical algae remove does more damage to the other plants as well.
Adding CO2 has also helped delcine the growth rate and spread of the algae,
which is now in decline.

Bleaching plants was discovered by Paul Kumbholtz in the late 80s. It's in
the aquaria faq. I *thought* I had success with it ona few occasions but
it always comes back. I mentioned it quite a few times; in this sense I
feel somewhat responsible for it's popularity.

Mentioning the idea in TFH got me (them) a whack of hate mail. Heh.

It doesn't work long term. Expect it to come back because you havn't
done anything to prevent the bad water conditions condusive to it's
growth.

Just fertilize properly and you won't see it again. The algae killing
chemicals all don't work either - they cause more harm than good. I've tried
them all.

Flourish Excel is the only thing that will kill algae and help, not harm
plants.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net