Old 15-01-2006, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default Small pond question...

"Charles" wrote in message
On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 16:34:00 -0600, wrote:

What about water lillys & other flowery plants? also is there any bog
plants that would do well?

"Do what you want and say what you feel because those that mind,dont
matter and those that matter, dont mind" -Dr.Seuss

Many of the aquarium plants are bog plants, do well above the water.
Most that are used for aquariums don't need too much light.

Excuse me, but this isn't true as she'll find out on the aquarium plant NGs.
They do indeed need strong light. She has a water-garden, not an aquarium
so it will not get light from the sides, nor will she view this wg from the
sides. It's on a balcony so will not get much light if there's another
balcony above it. Looking down in to the darkness to see Java moss or Java
fern wouldn't be very appealing. Even they need "light" to thrive.

somewhere around this place (my house) is a copy of a magazine that
described water plants that would work in the shade, if I can find it
I'll post some more info.

But it's not OPEN shade, it's a balcony with most likely another above it
blocking out the light. This means it gets light only from the one,
possibly 2 sides, and not sunlight at that. :-( This would be considered
deep or dense shade.

In the meantime, the web has some info;

http://www.bonniesplants.com/how_to/...ng_plants.html

http://www.koivet.com/html/articles/...?article_id=50