Old 16-01-2006, 03:43 AM posted to aus.family,aus.gardens,melb.general
Craig & Co.

Default Fence questions [X-posted]

Hi,

We discussed it with our neighbour first, and although she was prepared to
pay half
on the basis that we were doing the labour, we had a little trouble when the
fence was
up and reminding her of her agreed obligation.

Through a lawyer friend (a nice one :-) ), she said that even if there is a
verbal agreement
the neighbour is under no obligation to pay for 1/2.
But our neighbour had paid a couple of installments, so therefore she
obligated herself
to pay the rest.

In regards to your issues,
The rental property you would need to speak with the Body Corporate (Owners)
if it is the government and the fence is deteriorated, get them to come out
and
look at it to prove that a new fence is required.

If your neighbours can't pay for the fence, I'm sure they would have no
problems with you putting up a new fence, especially seeing you will pay
for the whole thing yourself. Ask if they are prepared to pay 1/2 first
or at least a contribution.

Good Luck
Craig and Co.