Old 16-01-2006, 02:43 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT - black soot algae

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message

Flourish Excel is the only thing that will kill algae and help, not harm
plants.

=============================
Since I started using Flourish fertilizers I've got a problem with a black
soot algae. It comes off easily with a scrubber but makes whatever it
grows
on look filthy. I'm not sure which of the 3 is causing it. :-(

It started on the glass and now is slowing spreading to the plants
themselves.

I haven't used any SeaChem fertiliers, just the Excel organic carbon
source.

Can't say I know what you mean by black soot algae. Got a pic?

=============================
No. I get too much glare from the glass at any angle to get a decent pic of
this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.
It's not slimy to the touch, tightly stuck to the glass or plants, nor does
it smell bad. I'm clueless as to what this stuff is. Diatoms maybe? My
water is hard and alkaline.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952