Old 16-01-2006, 06:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
p.mc

Default Persuading the birds to eat the food I put out...

I find black sunflower seeds are fantastic, I buy it by the sackfull from my
local pet shop, I also had a slow start, but as Phil said they need to pluck
up the courage first.

--

Regards
p.mc

"ned" wrote in message

wrote in message
oups.com...
About 2 weeks ago, in a spirit of goodwill to all men and wild

birds, I
bought a bird-table and a large tub of mixed bird seed. I also

bought a
dozen or so of those suet balls. I've put a handful of seed on the
bird-table, along with a suet ball, and sat back to watch flocks of
grateful birds arrive to feed.

But from what I can see, nothing has been touched.

Any reason for this?

The bird-table is on a patio, about 10 feet from the back door of

the
house.

10 feet from the backdoor might be the clue.
If there is a lot of traffic out that backdoor or at the overlooking
window, that could well put them off.
Also, basic stuff, are there any birds in the neighbourhood?
I have periods when the local sparrowhawks patrol the area and that
certainly causes the locals to take off for safer pastures for a
while.
I should place the bird table further away from the house for a while
and see if that helps. Once they realise that easy safe pickings are
available, then they will get braver.

--
ned

http://www.bugsandweeds.co.uk