Old 16-01-2006, 08:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Paul D.Smith

Default Persuading the birds to eat the food I put out...

All our bird feeders used to hang from an apple tree some way from our back
windows. We've now moved them nearer so we can watch the birds in the
morning whilst eating breakfast.

The blue and great tits "grab and run" black sunflowers all day. The
dunnock furtively sneaks in through the undergrowth and then snacks on the
millet sprays. Robin is so bolshy I've had to shoo him out of the kitchen
more than once, presumably because he thought I should have been outside
digging up some more small insects for him.

However, the sparrows won't "bite". They flit around the apple tree
apparently oblivious to the fact that the food has moved down the garden and
they're missing out. I can't help wondering whether a new timmidness or
stupidity isn't the real reason behind the decline of sparrows in urbad area
;-).

Paul DS.