Old 16-01-2006, 01:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christopher Norton

Default Bonsai trees

The message
from Rusty Hinge 2 contains these words:

The message
from Christopher Norton contains these words:

I have a bonsai elder which has survived two years indoors. It will
probably go out in the spring, though.

But Rusty, you have to admit you`ve a rather good set of green fingers.
And elder are much less fussy than the serissa usually sold as Bonsai.

Yes, I really must give them a scrub sometime, *AND* stop picking my
nose. Andbut I was referring to the statement that there are no British
trees suitable for all-year indoor bonsai. I would agree though, that
very few are suited to it, but as my house is not centrally heated, I
suppose you could hardly class it as indoors?

BTW, would you like some seeds of sweet tamarind - I think they are a
different variety from the ones you had before.

Worst one I have ever seen is a privet sold in B & Q. Completely ill
equipped to live in the store let alone in a house!!!!

Privet? Hmmmm. I wonder how good leylandii would be for a bonsai tree?

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig

Seeds always accepted. Never refuse a gift is my motto.

Leylandi would make an interesting subject. If giant redwoods make good
Bonsai then why cant leylandi???

And yus, no central heating would help the elder no end. /me should
remember to make the heating proviso in future. (Harry Tomlinsons book
does!)