Old 12-02-2003, 04:25 PM
Betsy

Default Street Tree Suggestion

Are there pictures available of this project? Want to take any and post
them?

"gregpresley" wrote in message
Chinese Elm does not grow into an attractive tree in our area,
unfortunately. Most people have given up on it. I should have mentioned to
James to drive over to Spokane to the Park Department Arboretum, off of

the
Sunset Highway on the far western side of Spokane.. Several of the streets
surrounding the arboretum have been given over to a street tree project.

All
the trees are labelled with good signage and some cultivation hints.I

think
they have about 75 varieties of street trees lining the roads. That would

be
a very good place to check out the performance of street trees in our
climate and moisture conditions.I forgot to mention that some of the

hybrid
ash trees could make good street trees - they have very straight trunks,

and
some have a pleasant pale bark color. If you can find one that doesn't
seed.......
"Iris Cohen" wrote in message
Have you considered a zelkova?

I believe Zelkova is susceptible to Dutch elm disease. Also, it is not

quite
hardy in the area under discussion. Chinese elm would be a better

choice.

Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"If we see light at the end of the tunnel, It's the light of the

oncoming
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)