Old 16-01-2006, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Your favourite gardens?

On 16/1/06 3:06 pm, in article
, "Sally Thompson"
wrote:

On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 10:25:22 +0000, Sacha wrote
(in article ):

snip
Many thanks to everyone who has come up with their favourites and given us
food for thought. I don't think we'll get to Ireland this time - that will
have to be a separate (and expensive) trip! We hope to sort of drive up the
west of England, into Scotland and come back down the east but that's
over-simplifying to quite a degree! Any more thoughts that occur will be
most welcome.

Sacha, if you are driving up the west of England I can very much recommend a
visit to Hampton Court (no, not that one!) in Herefordshire. Details are at
http://www.hamptoncourt.org.uk/. The gardens are most imaginative and
spectacular but not open until Easter (don't remember when you said you would
be doing your tour). I didn't suggest it before because it is probably off
most people's route. We can happily spend the whole day there!

Thanks, Sally. I'm going to look into that, too. We hope to go in that
direction, so I don't see a problem. I've just sent for two of Sawday's
books so that we can plan our hols in relative comfort, too. The general
plan is to go as the whim takes us and using mobiles, ring ahead to reserve
a room each night. We don't want to be tied to specific schedules. We can
never go away until mid to late July at the earliest and as a friend who
lives in France has just told us she's booked her ferry today and is coming
over on 17 August, we're going to go in mid-July, if possible, taking a few
weeks over it. While I love going abroad to get the sun on my back, it
seems ridiculous to have seen so little of Britain and I'm really looking
forward to this. I love holidays where you can just chuck things in the car
and not worry about that extra pair of shoes/wellies or the last minute
raincoat!

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk