Old 17-01-2006, 01:52 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Salmon Egg

Default Blueberries in NY?

On 1/16/06 3:39 PM, in article
, "Steve"
wrote:

clonedone wrote:
clonedone Wrote:

hi, im new here, and i want to buy a blueberry bush.
i live in Brooklyn, NY
is it possible for blueberries to grow here?
and if it is, what kind?
thanks!

oh yeah, and i have been reading around here, do i need two bushes to
grow blueberries?
and im not sure what pH i have in my soil, but how would i test it?
and what if i left it non acidic? what would happen?

Whether you bother to test your soil or not, I would suggest that you
don't plant them close to your house. Even if the native soil is acid
enough, the pH near the house may be higher. Basement walls and
foundations are usually built from materials that leach lime into the soil.

Steve

I remember picking wild blueberries and huckleberries in a number of places
in New York. There also were blackberries, raspberries, and black
raspberries all over the place. In particular, I remember the Shawangunk
mountain area. I do not know what the legal aspects of collecting such
plants would be.

There were itinerant pickers who would pick commercially. Even during the
depression, we would splurge anywhere from 30¢ to 50¢ a quart. I was also
told that forest fires were purposely set to improve the blueberry crop and
to enable extra money to be earned fighting the fires. We were also told
that if you were an adult you could be impressed to fight these fires.

Bill

-- Ferme le Bush