Old 16-01-2006, 11:23 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
danny

Default Here we go again! Smuggling 201

These reporters tend to overdo most of the stories. I seriously doubt many
orchids can fetch "thousands of pounds" each. Of the three species actually
mentioned at the end of the article, two are available from seed in the U.S.
and the line-bred plants are probably quite superior to the wild plants in
flower size and ease of blooming (at least for P. rothschildianum, P.
sanderianum is a little newer.) What the heck is CITES "Category A"? CITES
has Appendices, not Categories, and even Appendix 1 plants are not "banned
from all trade." Also I seriously doubt there are many people buying
Paphiopedilums for their "heady scent."
-danny