Old 16-01-2006, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Duncan

Default Persuading the birds to eat the food I put out...

wrote in message
oups.com...
About 2 weeks ago, in a spirit of goodwill to all men and wild birds, I
bought a bird-table and a large tub of mixed bird seed. I also bought a
dozen or so of those suet balls. I've put a handful of seed on the
bird-table, along with a suet ball, and sat back to watch flocks of
grateful birds arrive to feed.

But from what I can see, nothing has been touched.

Any reason for this?

The bird-table is on a patio, about 10 feet from the back door of the
house.

Cheers

Will

Location location location.

My seed feeder has hardly been touched for weeks, until I noticed from an
upstairs window that it had a restricted view, and was next to a wall that a
passing sparrowhawk could use to ambush anything feeding there. I moved the
feeder 3ft further from the wall on Friday, and had goldfinches on it
yesterday. Before, they would flit through the nearby trees but not visit.
Adjacent cover is admittedly rather sparse, but I reckon in about 2
years...(then I'll be complaining about damage to buds and loss of fruit,
probably)

A very successful feeding site in a previous garden was near a hedge which
the local birds were using as a staging-post when flying from one tree to
another along the length of the street, so watch out for regular perches and
flight-paths.

All remains of apples and pears left by my children are consumed by the
local pair of blackbirds.

I don't like to encourage feral pigeons as they trample the soil to a
disgusting claggy goo, but sometimes I think the sight of conspicuous birds
like pigeons or starlings feeding attracts other species and so I usually
chuck a bit of wheat or bread on top of the wall

Duncan