Old 22-02-2003, 11:52 PM
Pete The Gardener

Default American frost zones

On Sat, 22 Feb 2003 12:22:34 GMT, Roger Van Loon
wrote:

Hi Pete,
There must be some misunderstanding here.
Where did you get that info?

The RHS Dictionary.

IMHO, London is Z8/Z9:
http://www2.dicom.se/fuchsias/eurozoner.html

This is probably true for much of London, though where my parents live
I would say 7/8, but I live in South Kensington, in central London,
and the climate is a fair bit different.

I think not even a sheltered garden in the center of London would be
Z11. That zone would mean, essentially: no frost at any moment, the
whole year through.

Most years we get either no frost or, at most, about half a degree of
frost. This year has been an exception, we've had temperatures below
freezing on about 8 or 10 nights, I think the worst was about -4C. We
haven't had it that cold for at least 6/8 years.

So I'm not at all surprised Z10/Z11 plants are not happy outside,
where you are...

Many Z10/11 plants will take short periods of freezing temps, what
they wont take are long periods of cold, but not freezing, temps with
loads of damp.

--
Pete The Gardener
A room without books is like a body without a soul.