Old 17-01-2006, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Koi-lo

Default Small pond question...

"Richard Sexton" wrote in message
In article , Koi-lo Do Not Reply wrote:

Hostas will not grow in water. They like damp soil but not waterlogged
soil.

Mine grow on a waterlooged riverbank here.

A riverbank isn't like being in a submerged pot in a pond or barrel of
water. Not all hostas like wet soil, some will soon develop a foul smelling
root rot. They like well drained damp soil and dappled shade. I grow these
as garden plants and am quite familiar with them. :-)

I can't think of one hardy shade (pond) plant that will grow in the
dense shade the OP is dealing with.

Spathiphyllum. Anthurium shold be ok too.

These tropicals will stretch and lean in dense shade. The Anthurium would
probably rot in wet soil unless she finds an aquatic type.

All thrive in dense shace and moist
soil modulo some reasonable temerature. Anubias would work too.

I'd hate to see her waste her money on plants that will surely fail. There
are few things other than mushrooms that do well in dense shade. Hostas
will live in open shade but even they will start to fade away under a
balcony.......

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952