Old 17-01-2006, 12:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Doug Kanter

Default Apple spraying?

"sherwindu" wrote in message

I don't know what you spray with, but as the web sites indicate, some
products are systemic, so you can wash your apples all day long and you
won't get rid of those chemicals. And, sun, wind & rain won't do a thing,
either.

You are definitely wrong about the sun, wind, & rain. It's a question
of
quantity,
and I specifically said that the residue remaining would not be
significant. We
ingest much more junk into our bodies by just breathing our poluted
air. If
you
wanted to be safe, you would become another 'bubble boy', who was
locked
into a completely controlled environment because of his poor immune
system.
If you define organic to something that grows naturally, you may want
think
about Wolfsbane, Death Angel Mushrooms, Marijuana, Hemlock, Foxglove,
Mandrake, Poison Sumac, etc. I am not suggesting these are used on
apples,
but I am just using that as an illustration for comparison.

I'm definitely wrong about sun, wind and rain?? Before we continue, let's
agree on some definitions. Do you know what "systemic" means? Do not post
links to dictionaries or any other source. Tell me in your own words what a
systemic pesticide is.

I don't grow fruit trees, but I seem to recall reading about the idea of
using a material similar to floating row cover to completely wrap dwarf
trees.

It's called 'Surround'. It is a disgusting powder that covers your
fruit.

No, I'm not talking around something you spray or dust onto the fruit. I'm
talking about a gossamer-like fabric which allows light & rain to penetrate,
but stops the majority of insects from contacting the plant. In catalogs and
garden stores, you'll see it labeled as "floating row cover" because it's so
lightweight that it appears to float. I can't recall where, but in the past,
I've seen it sold in larger sizes for covering dwarf fruit trees. You'd
obviously need to wait until enough pollination had taken place, and then
cover the tree. Do some research. You might discover something interesting.