Old 17-01-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default romanda or orandas In pond

"DD DDD" wrote in message
I adopted 4 of these goldfish. My pond is 300 gallons. Ihave them in a
30 galloon tank that Is ro small. I have 2 filters. Anyway. Can I put
these in my raccoon safe pond in march? The water temp is then 65.

Acclimate them to the lower temps and different water. Don't just drop them
in cooler water that may be more acid or alkaline or harder or softer than
they're in now.

My
problem is that the temp in summer hits 84 with shade. Is this safe for
them?

My goldfish and koi both survived a bad heatwave last summer where the water
reached 96F. I ran some extra pumps for better aeration and shaded the
ponds with old white sheets. None died. Make sure there is good filtration
and aeration in your pond.

My comets do well. But Im told that these need 75 ect.

Not true. I had a pool of moors, telescope-eyes and Orandas that lived
through the winters here in zone 6 where the surface would freeze over.
(Keep a hole open in the ice).

Can they
cope with a slow temp change?

Yes.

And is there a good bacteria additive for
any problems? My comets did well for 4 yaers. These would be in the own
300 gallon pond. also what is a good preventive bacteria/ parasite
addite? Thank you

We use KoiZyme to prevent ulcers. Be sure they don't have parasites when
you put them in the pond. It a lot easier and cheaper to treat a tank than
a pond.
--

Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...
Aquariums since 1952