Old 17-01-2006, 06:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

Default Diospyros kaki

On 16 Jan 2006 06:19:53 -0800, "Cat(h)" wrote:

During my last passage in my ancestral home (SW France) for Xmas, my
entire childhood flashed before my eyes as I was given - for the first
time in years - ripe kaki fruit to eat.
Many of the local gardens and orchards have one or more of those, and
as few people used to eat them, we kids used to gorge around Nov/Dec
each year on the soft, incredibly exotically sweet orange juicy flesh.
In a fierce fit of virulent nostalgia, I promised myself to try and
plant one one in my garden (East Midlands of Ireland).
Has anyone any experience of growing diospyros kaki in the British
Isles? I believe it originates in China, and it is quite robust in the
face of very low temperatures. But I am wondering about things such as
sunshine hours in the summer, tolerance of wet conditions, and such.
Any wisdom on this?

TIA

Cat(h)

IIRC growing persimmons in the UK was discussed on urg a few months
ago. Try searching google groups over the last twelve months.

--
Chris