Old 17-01-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
kenty;\)

Default Here we go again! Smuggling 201

"
~Do you have a hurl[1] for the rag that carried the story so
~that the meaner and more spiteful of us can write them
~to let them know how incompetent their reporters are and
~that they are a pox on the rear of humanity?
~
~[1] As a general rule I don't read those websites, they make
~me want to barf.
~
~
What do you expect from a paper called "Life Style Extra"? Oh, they "aim
to provide useful, organised, up-to-date financial and other useful
information."

http://www.lse.co.uk/
--
Reka

This story made the National paper,Sunday Express in the UK.I have met Lim
& purchased plants from him before.His father has a established orchid
nursery in Malaysia,were Lim is from.These stories do get sensationalised
and the courts seem to come down hard on anyone caught up.This is the
first time I have heard of anyone going to jail recently for this crime in
the UK. I am not justifying what Lim has done but feel the courts in the
UK are hypocrites,people get let off for more serious crimes.Regarding the
paph sanderianum,if this is so rare how does someone in Malaysia have 4000
of them!

And as for customs & Kew-
Snip
After the plants were seized at Heathrow they were taken to Kew Gardens
for inspection.
"The plants now belong to Customs. If and when they are handed over to Kew
we will be in touch with the likely countries of origin to determine the
future of the plants."
Yeh right we all know were they will end up!Like all the rest of the
confiscated orchids in the UK.
Cheers Keith
PS it must be bloody tempting to smuggle plants when they grow on your door
step like weeds!!