Old 23-02-2003, 12:29 PM
Kay Easton

Default American frost zones

In article , Anne
Middleton/Harold Walker writes

See below////////
suspect that a number of plants can be grown in the South West of the UK
that cannot be grown up in the north country.

We certainly do . . . like the fact that we can grow palm trees in the
north west of Scotland but not in the south east of

england!!!!!!!!////////////I thought it would be the other way
around....palm trees down in the Cornwall area but not in
Scotland.........HW.

In winter the temperature zones go roughly W to E - the W of the country
is warmer because of the gulf stream, so palms will survive the winter
on the W but not in the E.

Otoh, things which need a hot dry sunny summer won't grow in the N.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/