Old 18-01-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Design student working on garden product idea

"spirk" wrote in message

Hi my name is Evan and I am a design student trying to come up with a
product to help beginner to expert gardeners with the process of
growing plants, fruits in a garden or greenhouse. It would be best to
explain my idea by giving you an example of how you could use it.

Presumably you've been given this particular topic as a project
and had no choice.

Just try and explain to your tutor that designers always do their
best work - both commercially and professionally, when working in
areas they're already familiar with.

Gardening is a very large, competitive leisure market World-wide,
and manufacturers are getting input and ideas from knowledgeable
amateurs, professional horticulturists, and designers
who are also weekend gardeners, on a 24/7 basis.

The fact that you need to ask such basic questions means
you're unlikely to come up with anything worthwhile -
certainly when compared with designing for a product area
you're familiar with. Concerning one of your own leisure
interests for instance. If you can't think of a worthwhile design
improvement or product idea in that area, then its unlikely
you'll do so for one with which you're totally unfamiliar.
Certainly not when compared with the many designers who
already have the requisite familiarity.

Basically its a non-starter in any case, because as has already
been pointed out, many people are attracted to gardening precisely
because it's so low tech. You hardly need any equipment at all
as garden tools can easily last for decades. While the high tech
end is already well catered for with scaled down versions of
commercial equipment. And what's more, its not the end of the world
if you forget what you planted where, in any case.

To some people anyway.

michael adams

--
spirk