Old 18-01-2006, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Baraclough

Default Design student working on garden product idea

The message
from spirk contains these words:

I would really appreciate any answers to the following questions, and
any comments about my idea

What is your biggest problem with gardening and the gardening process?

I don't perceive gardening in those terms. It isn't a tick-box,
flow-chart production process.

What is the hardest thing to remember when gardening?

It isn't an intellectual process in the head, it's about instinct,
opening up to a subtler state of receptiveness and connection, going
with the flow. While the hands are in the soil and touching plants,
there's no requirement to remember theory and charts. Just as, when
riding a bike, I don't have to remember anything about dynamic physics.
(just as well).

Do you document plants as they grow?

I write the sowing date of seeds on a plastic label and stick it in
the pot.

How do you remember what plants you planted?

I write the name on a plastic label.

IMO, you're confusing the needs of gardeners ( very low-tech, best
summarised as KISS) with industrial horticulture. They are two very
different markets, with very different agendas.

Janet