Old 18-01-2006, 12:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Design student working on garden product idea

In message , spirk
writes

The user opens up the box to find the Hand held device with a color LCD
touch screen, seeds for several different plants, earphones

!!
How do I listen to my radio if I have earphones?

The user would input what plant he just put the RFID chip next to.
Now when the user ever comes back to that plant he waves his device
over the plant and up pops a history of the plant, how to take care of
it, the history of the users interaction with that plant, ect.

But I *know* all that! Gardening is my interest. I therefore remember
what I need to know. Effortlessly.

And when I wave my device over the seed tray, it will pick up the RFID
chip from the back left cell, rather than one in the second from left,
will it?

This idea is just not limited to outdoor use. You could use the system
for greenhouses, or even inside the house with “smart pots.” Maybe you
have smart pots that have RFID integrated chips.

And that costs how much?
Compared with recycled plastic pots from last year, or empty yogurt
pots?

What is your biggest problem with gardening and the gardening process?

Having to go back to the house to refill my coffee cup.

What is the hardest thing to remember when gardening?

Where I left my secateurs

Do you document plants as they grow?

No

How do you remember what plants you planted?

The seed packet has been opened, I may have put the name on a plastic
label in the pot, I can recognise what comes up.

What are the most common things you need to remember when taking care
of a garden, ie nutrition, type of fertilizer, ect.

None of these

What are the most important things you need to do before starting to
plant seeds for your garden?

Choose what seeds to buy

Are there different ways you need to treat plants that you grow outside
then in a greenhouse?

The differences between different plants within in each of these
environments are at least as large as the overall differences between
greenhouse and garden. Greenhouses are warmer, have fewer slugs, and no
natural rainfall. The impact of each of these depends on the particular
plant.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. Recreational gardening is not
about producing showy plants, it's about the whole process of growing,
of learning and understanding. Adding to your own knowledge base is
interesting, but having an artificial knowledge repository is directly
counter to that. If I want to grow a plant, I am interested enough in it
to remember what I have done with it (though I may note dates of sowing
on a plastic label), and I will remember its needs just as easily as a
football fan will remember the names of the players in his favourite
team. I do not want to mess around duplicating in a separate system
information which I can retain easily in my head.
--
Kay Easton