Old 18-01-2006, 01:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Design student working on garden product idea

michael adams wrote:
"spirk" wrote in message

Hi my name is Evan and I am a design student trying to come up

with a
product to help beginner to expert gardeners with the process of
growing plants, fruits in a garden or greenhouse. It would be

best
to explain my idea by giving you an example of how you could use

it.

Presumably you've been given this particular topic as a project
and had no choice.

Just try and explain to your tutor that designers always do their
best work - both commercially and professionally, when working in
areas they're already familiar with.

[...sound comments snipped...]

Agreed, everybody's comments. It's a sledgehammer to crack a
cornflake, but as an exercise it's _very_ interesting. I think our
friend should pursue it, though perhaps not in this precise
direction. An application of the principle which occurs to me is in
botanic or RHS etc gardens: a visitor could pick up the tool at the
entrance, and get, if he wanted it, far more information about a
plant than could be put on a label -- characteristics, history,
provenance, uses, mentions in literature, depictions in art, etc etc.
There are times when I'd like that at Kew and other places. In the
same way, it could be used with museum and art-gallery exhibits and
even some kinds of shop displays.

I would emphasise, though, what's been said already: if a designer
doesn't know the field he's working for, or work extremely closely
with people who do, the almost inevitable result is very bad design.
I've seen that lose a firm serious money (paid for with staff
redundancies).

--
Mike.