Old 18-01-2006, 06:54 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
jadel

Default Here we go again! Smuggling 201

da wrote:
I've just started teaching a journalism feature writing course, and if

you (or anybody else here) is planning on writing a letter complaining
about the article, I'd appreciate it if you could send me a copy (or
post it here). I'd love to be able to hand out a copy of this story,
ask the students what they thought about it, and then show them some
critiques penned by people who really know the topic. I think it would
be an eye-opener for them, and it wouldn't require me stamping all
over their fragile egos by slashing and burning their own work.

Never mind their precious egos; it's your job.. People with fragile
egos don't belong among the cadre of ink-stained wretches.

Make the students do the research. That's what they'll have to do in
the real world.

Let them critique each other, and then you critique them. If they
snivel, too bad.

J. Del Col (erstwhile journalism teacher)