Old 18-01-2006, 03:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Design student working on garden product idea

spirk wrote:
Hi my name is Evan

Hello Evan.

Your idea is a good idea but as many have said, after over 20 years at
a desk with every possilbe immaginable desktop publishing devices,
autocad, pictures and words manipulators, and all the admin and
communication all totally virtual, I cannot but agree that I garden and
do a two year gardening course to precisely get out of the office, get
out of the bleeping machinery that has now made me look grey, tired and
numb.

I'll answer your questions, but if you could look into your device to
be used in garden centres and gardening shops perhaps, where I'd
immagine people would enjoy the quick references when the labels are
missing or the staff is on a break behind the sheds. Also you'll have
better luck with the gardening centres chains than individual
gardeners.

What is your biggest problem with gardening and the gardening process?

For me it's heavy stuff to carry.

What is the hardest thing to remember when gardening?

Have I brought some milk? Seriously, there's nothing 'hard' to
remember. There's lots of "oops, shouldn't have done that, will do
differently next year" perhaps but nothing to get a headache about.
There's nothing better than gardening, isn't it boys?! g

Do you document plants as they grow?

No. I document plants as I plant them and write my ideas down on a
special note book. But I don't go around in my white coat taking notes.

How do you remember what plants you planted?

It's written in my special note book, full of dried flowers, pictures,
drawings and lots of doodles. Also it's pretty obvious where I've
planted something. Generally the plant has grown and I can see what it
is.

What are the most common things you need to remember when taking care
of a garden, ie nutrition, type of fertilizer, ect.

That's the whole process Evan! Everything - we think of everything,
from the tools we have to when the sun's gonna shine, from when we need
to plant something to when we're going to harvest.

What are the most important things you need to do before starting to
plant seeds for your garden?

Make a cuppa tea. Seriously ... Indoor seeds: seed compost,
vermiculite, clean pots and seeds. Outdoor seeds: fine tilth by
racking, moist ground, sand, seeds obviously and a nice cuppa
afterwards.

Are there different ways you need to treat plants that you grow outside
then in a greenhouse?

Yes. It's totally different. Greenhouse requires good ventilation,
shade and sun as necessary, humidity control, P&D control, watering
devices - outside, well, where does one start?! Pest and diseases, OM,
neighbouring plants, slugs etc...

Thanks for your time, this will really help me out.

I hope so. Don't hesitate to ask more specific questions. I can see
where you're getting at but you must find out for yourself what you
need to know for your data. Good luck.