Old 18-01-2006, 09:26 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

Default Pruning Fig Tree

"Brandon" wrote in message
Hi,

We have a 30 year old Brown Turkey Fig and it's time for a pruning.
It's reaching about 12'high and 16'wide. We've not cut it back
since moving into the house 5 years ago, but I'm expecting the previous
owners did from time to time. So my question is would you recommend a
radical pruning or just 3'-4' all around? It produces wonderful fruit
so I'm a little nervous about doing a radical cutting, but our neighbor
says go ahead and whack it back and it'll grow right back.
So before getting out the hand saw I wanted to get some other opinions.

Thanks!

Brandon
http://www.hostaplants.com

Brandon, so long as you don't take off more than a third of the tree's
foliage by volume, should not be a problem