Old 19-01-2006, 12:30 AM posted to rec.gardens
Tom J

Default Pruning Fig Tree

"Brandon" wrote in message
Hi,

We have a 30 year old Brown Turkey Fig and it's time for a pruning.
It's reaching about 12'high and 16'wide. We've not cut it back
since moving into the house 5 years ago, but I'm expecting the
previous
owners did from time to time. So my question is would you recommend
radical pruning or just 3'-4' all around? It produces wonderful
fruit
so I'm a little nervous about doing a radical cutting, but our
neighbor
says go ahead and whack it back and it'll grow right back.
So before getting out the hand saw I wanted to get some other
opinions.

You won't kill it if you cut it to the ground, but why would you want
to trim it at all. Mine is even larger than yours with roots on some
limbs 18 to 20 feet from the main trunk. Me & my neighbors pick all
the figs we want at ground level and the birds & bees have a feast 6
foot up.

Tom J