Old 19-01-2006, 12:20 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
V_coerulea

Default potatoes

Besides waiting for the cuts to skin over, dusting with any water repellant
substance helps. If it has anti-bacterial or anti-fungal properties, so much
the better. Sulfur and talc powders are easy to get and water repellant.
Sulfur has some antibiotic properties as does cinnamon. Wood ashes is
basically like putting lime on them. Not water repellant; antibiotic but a
little strong; adds calcium to the soil.
Basically skinning over should be enough. But to be sure, especially if
you've had bad luck in the past, any of the others used before planting
should help.
Gary

"tillerman" wrote in message
I'm gonna plant them again this year. I've had problems in years past
with
the seed potatoes rotting in the ground instead of growing. I've heard
this
can be prevented by treating or dusting the seed taters with something
first,
I've heard that wood ashes or sulfur will work. Any other ideas?