Old 23-02-2003, 05:00 PM
Drakanthus

Default Need a spring for a garden gate

Can you buy garden gate springs and if so do they fit onto gates where
both the post isn't that wide and the gate is lightweight? Also how
much do they cost?

You can get them from any hardware store for 1 or 2 pounds. I fitted one to
our front gate because the postman had a similar inability to close the gate
after him. How you fit it depends upon the materials of your gate post and
gate. My gate is wrought Iron with a post brick, so I had to drill a couple
of holes into the gate and used small bolts to attach it. On the brick
column I drilled a couple of holes, tapped in rawl plugs and screwed the
other end of the spring to it. I often see gate springs fitted incorrectly -
probably because they are often supplied without instructions. People often
fit the spring horizontally so the spring bends when the gate is opened.
This is wrong. The correct thing to do is have the spring positioned
vertically so that as the gate opens it tightens the spring. Supplied with
gate springs are a couple of lugs and a small rod. Put one of the lugs in a
hole, using the rod twist the spring tight then pop in the other lug. You
can now discard the rod. Job done. If your gate is very lightweight don't
get a spring that is too powerful or it may damage your gate as it slams it
shut.
--
Drakanthus.

(Spam filter: Include the word VB anywhere in the subject line or emails
will never reach me.)