Old 23-02-2003, 05:17 PM
Fredgibson

Default Growing potatoes in tyres

"Natalie" wrote in message
Have any of you had experience of growing potatoes using old tyres?

I've read it might not be a good idea because of chemicals leaking from

the
tyres. What do you think?

This is a project that I want to do at school. I'm sure not many of the
children (or their parents) understand how potatoes grow!

Natalie

Hi,I haven't grown them in tyres but in a bucket, but heard about tyres.

Put you first tyre where it is to stop. Fill with compost, then put the
seed potatoes in about half the depth of the compost. Water in and don't
let the compost dry out. When the shoots start to show, put another tyre
on and cover the shoots with compost, Keep covering the shoots till its as
high as you want it, with as many tyre as you want. It certainly is an
interesting project, Best of luck.