Old 18-01-2006, 10:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Martin Brown

Default Flowers amongst my veggies

Lettuce Pray wrote:

This year I would like to grow some flowers amongst my veggies with two
aims in mind. I want the garden to have more colour and I would like to
attract insects that will prey on my garden pests ( at least a little).

More effective to grow complementary plants that disguise the smell of
your food plants from sap suckers and pests. Certain smelly marigold
species work fairly well. Chrysanthemums are another possibility.

I know nothing about what I should grow, but I will give you details of
where I am and what type of veggies I intend to grow.
I am in SE Scotland in a walled garden that has a good depth of free
draining soil. I will be growing potatoes, lettuce, cabbage, carrots,
spring onions, beans, peas, spinach, rasps, strawbs, plums, apples.
Also tomatoes and chillies in the greenhouse, along with basil.

In a greenhouse yellow cards coated in cycle grease are not bad.

Any suggestions as to what flowers I should grow, where in the garden,
when sown etc would be very happily received. The easier to grow and
the less attention they need the better:-)

Be careful what you wish for - if they are too easy to grow they are as
bad as if not worse than the weeds. eg Himalayan balsam.

Regards,
Martin Brown