Old 19-01-2006, 05:27 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default HAIR ALGAE TREATMENT - black soot algae

No, but I can try it. Thanks. :-) I've tried all kinds of angels but
there is either glare or flashback or the pics are overexposed. That's why
I always had so few pics of my tanks on my pond/fish webpages. I never
tried turning the camera....

Also, if your camera can take shots as close as a couple of inches
(My $35 Fuji does so I expect real cameras do) then put the lens
of the camera in contact with the aquarium glass. This should eliminate
the glare and might only give you hassles with depth of field and focus.

But at least you have no glare.

this algae. It's a powdery looking black coating on the glass and lower
parts of the plants. It looks like the black soot that you see on
fireplace
walls or chimneys. Similar to what grows in the darkness of toilet tanks.

Could be the beginnings of staghorn algae.

It doesn't do anything but stay powdery looking and spreads out from small
black spots. Where it gets more light, it seems to be a more reddish color.
The goldfish are nibbling it off the back glass I've noticed.

Reddish? Brownish maybe?

Diatoms if so. Put a bright light on it and tell me what color you think
they are now.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net