Old 19-01-2006, 05:41 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Richard Sexton

Default polyphosphate blue-green algae

Ammonia stresses fish, not nitrate.

120ppm killed about 1/2 of the shrimp I had for a 3 day exposure.

Regards,

Tom Barr

Your shrimp are pussies, what can I say?

Rememeber also I was using an, um, "suboptimal" *cough*hobby*cough*
nitrate test kit so who knows if was 20, 200 or 2000.

The reagent didn't react at all the first 3 times I tested it
then 5 minutes later it turned very red, as in glow in the dark
red, and thta was only when I opened the cap to the #2 reagent vial,
when I actually put a drop in hot pink sparks began shooting out of
the test tube. I understand this to mean nitrates are "high".

By my math it was around 200ppm. I left it for 3 weeks then change
it mostly all out, an Echinoduris was getting weird. I've got pics
of these should be lethally exposed Ammano shrimp someplace. (Looks
around the room at pieces of computers) Yeah it's on that one
over there. Hmm...

I wouldn't say nitrates are good for freshwater algae eating
shrimp, but I'm not convinced high nitrates will kill all shrimp
all the time.

But I am also convinced also that as soon as you can measure any ammonia
then by that time you already have a dead pink shrimp someplace
in that tank. They are deathly sensitive to ammonia and ammonium.

1970 280SE, 72 280SE | Home page: http://rs79.vrx.net