Old 19-01-2006, 12:41 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

Default potatoes

"tillerman" wrote in message
I'm gonna plant them again this year. I've had problems in years past
with
the seed potatoes rotting in the ground instead of growing. I've heard
this
can be prevented by treating or dusting the seed taters with something
first,
I've heard that wood ashes or sulfur will work. Any other ideas?

Normal procedure in UK is not to cut them as this can introduce infection
and increase the likelihood of them rotting. I'm also assuming that you do
chit them, ie, put them in boxes in the light to sprout before planting out?

I don't see a reason these practises shouldn't help in the U.S. which I
assume is where you are.

(All right, I confess I've cut a couple in the past when I was a few short
for a full row.) :-))

Steve