Old 23-02-2003, 07:44 PM
Emrys Davies

Default Growing potatoes in tyres

'Natalie',

Definitely worth a try. As you will see from this site
http://www.netspace.net.au/~atkinson/patch/potato.htm
they appear to be growing quite well under the conditions which you
advocate.

One drawback, as I see it, is that the tyres will tend to attract the
sun far more than conventional methods and consequently the compost will
dry out quickly during hot weather.

Regards,
Emrys Davies.

"Natalie" wrote in message
Have any of you had experience of growing potatoes using old tyres?

I've read it might not be a good idea because of chemicals leaking

from the
tyres. What do you think?

This is a project that I want to do at school. I'm sure not many of

the
children (or their parents) understand how potatoes grow!

Natalie