Old 19-01-2006, 03:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default OT for Chris French

On 19/1/06 0:32, in article , "chris
French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
On 18/1/06 21:40, in article , "chris
French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.

No, sounds like a virus infection on someone else machine that has the
address in the windows Address book.

Interesting. I'm using a Mac so the attachments won't open, even if I'd
tried to get them to do so.

Opening attachments is fine, as long as you know what you are doing.

Which in my case........ ;-(

But I am curious as to why this is happening.

Not that surprising really.

There is a fair chance that there are number of machine out there that
have both of our email addresses on given our long history of urg
posting (though the urgfaq address isn't one that would have been used
on urg someone communicating with me about the faq would likely have
used that address.

That machine gets infected with a virus, it scans the machine, finds our
addresses and happens to send out an email to you and happens to use my
address to spoof the from address to make it look like it has come from
me (remember it could be sending out thousands of emails)

I received another email, with unopened attachment, from a friend who was
working in Cairo. I checked with him and he hadn't been in touch with me
yesterday. He's going to contact his secretary in Cairo and get her to
check if there have been any shenanigans with regard to his computer.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk