Old 19-01-2006, 03:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Alan Holmes

Default OT for Chris French

"Rusty Hinge 2" wrote in message
k...
The message k
from Sacha contains these words:

On 18/1/06 21:40, in article , "chris
French" wrote:

In message , Sacha
writes
Have you sent me 3 emails by any chance? All are marked as being from
urgfaq with your name as part of the address.

No, sounds like a virus infection on someone else machine that has the
address in the windows Address book.

Interesting. I'm using a Mac so the attachments won't open, even if I'd
tried to get them to do so. But I am curious as to why this is
happening.

Someone with (probably) a Windows box who is using IE, OE and/or Outlook
has acquired a virus, worm or trojan.

These can raid the address books of IE and Outlook, and gather addresses
from saved e-mails and newsitems, then, when they are online, the
scumware 'phones home' with information about the computer, and often
any bank details it can find. It also replicates itself (which is why
it's called a virus) and sends itself to everyone in the address book
while the computer is connected to the net.

What is an address book' and why does anyone think they need it?

Alan

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig