Old 19-01-2006, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Tweedy

Default Hellebores

In article , les
writes
There was recently a discussion on this newsgroup which suggested that in
order to see the flowers to their best effect you should remove all of the
old leaves. I have a Hellebores Niger which has lots of good, strong, heathy
growth which completely hides several flower buds underneath. As this is the
first time I have planted Hellebores I am unsure what to do. Should I remove
this healthy growth or should I just leave it and the flower stems will grow
above it?

Les

The discussion was that you cut the OLD leaves from last year. Leave
this years leaves and the young ones on! It wasn't to display the
flowers, not sure why you thought that.
It is to clean up the plant and to stop diseases being carried over from
one year to next.
The plant needs its new leaves.
--
Janet Tweedy