Old 23-02-2003, 07:57 PM
Rod

Default Hedge advice sought

"Paul" wrote in message .. .
I have recently moved into a house that has a small patio area at the front
of it (15ft x 8ft). The previous owners had planned to put a hedge around
two sides of this area and have created a brick trough that stands about two
feet high and and one foot wide.. There is nothing planted in there at the
moment but I would like to put a hedge in, that will eventually ideally be
about 6ft or so high.

If that really *is* a trough - ie has a solid bottom then anything trying to get to your target size will have a hard
time. If it's practical to knock the bottom out or make some decent drainage holes that will give you a wider choice of
plants. Does it *have* to be 6ft - what about something like Miss Jessop's upright Rosemary? not quite 6ft but fairly
substantial if it grows well. Likes dryish poor conditions and the smell................;-)))))))
Better get some spring lambs in the freezer. Just enjoy the plant for its own sake if you're of the veggie tendency.

Rod