Old 19-01-2006, 11:08 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default Pruning Fig Tree

Brown Turkey is a fig fruits on this years wood, so you wont cut off the fruit. but
OTOH, you dont want to shock the tree and send it into completely new growth either
so advice below is very good.
yes, now is a good time to prune. Ingrid

"V_coerulea" wrote:

I go for aesthetics and practicality first. Cut out those low branches that
get in the way during mowing or harvesting. Either cut them all the way back
or get rid of any that droop or hang downward from a main limb. Thin out
any branches that are crossing or are just too dense. Look at how much you
cut out then go with the 1/3 principle of not prunning more than a third of
the total tree at any one time. More than that can harm the tree as well as
lead to increased production of suckers from the trunk and roots and
decreased fruit production.
While you neighbor is right that it will grow back even if you cut it to a
stump, you will be fighting many years to get the growth back under control
and waiting for the next good crop.

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List at
http://weloveteaching.com/puregold/
www.drsolo.com
I receive no money, gifts, discounts or other
compensation for all the damn work I do, nor for
any of the recommendations I make.
AND I DID NOT AUTHORIZE ADS AT THE OLD PUREGOLD SITE