Old 19-01-2006, 09:19 PM posted to rec.ponds
Galen Hekhuis

Default Does a pond "breathe"? Is it important?

On Thu, 19 Jan 2006 10:34:59 -0500, Hal wrote:

On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 17:19:11 -0500, Galen Hekhuis
wrote:

I may not use the proper terminology, but if anyone can make heads or tails
out of this and responds or tells me where I can find more information I
sure would appreciate it.

I don't know of a source of information on breathing ponds. I could
be quite happy with what you have, but it would not be what I have
now. I have a lined koi pond that only gets new water when I add it,
not a continual addition of water daily from ground water. I would
expect that your pond may not remain clear all the time because of the
continual replacement of water,

I don't think the water is replaced continuously at all. In fact, now that
you bring it up, I think there is very little water exchange in a phreatic
type pond. Evaporation might be a factor, but the humidity is quite high
here in Florida, and I doubt evaporation is quite the factor it might be in
the Southwest.

but I wouldn't filter it, (Just as
futile as filtering an above ground stream.) and I think I might wait
a year before I even attempted to aerate. I believe I would consider
the water temperature and life in the water before aerating. I've
seen holes in the ground in Florida that filled with clear ground
water and soon had a few blue gills. You might be that lucky, if not
you may have to learn to live with what you have, or cover it up if
you don't like it, because IMHO, your control of flowing water is
limited.

Regards,

Hal

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA