Old 19-01-2006, 10:01 PM posted to rec.ponds
Koi-lo

Default Does a pond "breathe"? Is it important?

"Galen Hekhuis" wrote in message

After the
bulldozer came, I quit pumping, and now, about a week later, the pond
probably has a good four feet of water near the center. The water level
rises not as fast now, but I'd guess it is about 1/2 inch a day. I'm
guessing it has about another foot to go before it quits. Sure, we've had
a little rain here, but hardly enough to dramatically change the water
level in the pond.

Then it's probably being fed by and underground spring or the water table is
causing it to fill.

There is absolutely no run off into the pond, the land
surrounding the pond is a higher than the land that might possibly drain
into it. Granted, it is only a few inches higher, but that is enough.
(The land right here is like that. I noticed when I was digging post
holes
for railing uprights that if I went down about a foot it got *real* damp,
and if I went much more I'd strike wet mud.)

Galen Hekhuis NpD, JFR, GWA
We are the CroMagnon of the future

--
Koi-Lo.... frugal ponding since 1995...