Old 19-01-2006, 10:51 PM posted to triangle.gardens
Craig Watts

Default Terminating a tree

? wrote:
On Wed, 18 Jan 2006 23:12:40 GMT in Craig Watts wrote:

We had 2 Bradford Pear Tree damaged by the ice storm of
December 2 years ago. One wants to grow back and we are
letting it. The other we want to terminate. We cut it level
with the ground and we want to plant other things there.

It keeps sending runners up from the roots. Any suggestions
on how to stop this thing from grow?

If you're intending to plant other things there within the next
few years, you're going to have to remove the stump and roots.
Your choice of a stump grinder, or a shovel and an axe, or a backhoe.
If you have experience with black powder firearms, you can also
try blasting, but that'll probably violate several laws and annoy
the neighbors.

If you want to wait for it to rot out, start spraying it with
roundup as soon as you start getting a fair amount of leaf surface area.
Repeat until it stops sending up new growth.
If you have wood ants in the area, it should rot out in 5-10 years.

Hum????

I do have a 50 caliber CVM Black Powed Deer rifle.....

Craig