Old 20-01-2006, 02:50 AM posted to rec.gardens,austin.gardening
Alternate Identity

Default Starting tomatoes (was May the Schwartz be with you......)

In article ,
kate wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:
In article ,
zxcvbob wrote:

Alternate Identity wrote:

In article ,
sherwindu wrote:

Let's see, who should get the 'cutsy' award for this forum. We can make
up
big trophy and have a presentation ceremony. Right now, I think Cereus
and
Alternate are running neck and neck.

Oh come on! The list was slow and won't pick up until spring planting
time. ;-) For those that have good sunny windows (and no cats), or
greenhouses, now is the time to start seeds!

I'm considering trying tomatoes from seed this year. I usually cheat and
buy started plants but they don't always have the varieties I want.

How many seeds should I put into, say, a 1" starter plug pot?

One tomato seed per pot, and plant a few extra pots in case some don't
come up or they damp off or get eaten by cats. You can usually give
away extra tomato plants.

Don't plant them too early. They start out slow, but then grow
tremendously fast and get difficult to manage.

Best regards,
Bob

So when would you recommend?
Here in Texas, I can usually stick them in the ground about the end of
March.

I've never tried from seed so don't know how fast they grow?

I've got plenty of 4" and 1 gallon pots to transplant if I have to. :-)

I've had good results starting them 5 or 6 weeks before they go in the
ground. Tomato seed is pretty reliable - if you plant 20 you're likely
to get 20.

Kate

Cool! Thanks!
I need to look for Plum tomatoes. I LOVE those things!
Grow almost as prolific as sweet 100's but are more meaty IMHO.

I'd like to try Romas again this year as well.

I've not tried beefsteaks, ever, but mom and dad used to grow them in
California.