Old 20-01-2006, 12:24 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
shazzbat

Default potatoes

"tillerman" wrote in message
news
"shazzbat" wrote in message

Normal procedure in UK is not to cut them as this can introduce infection
and increase the likelihood of them rotting.

Hmm. Here in the US the gardeners and garden books all seem to recommend
cutting them with at least 2 or 3 "eyes" on each piece. That way I guess
you save
some money...

I'm also assuming that you do
chit them, ie, put them in boxes in the light to sprout before planting

out?

Never chited them, but I will this time. How long should they be sprouted
before setting them out?

Well a lot depends on your planting schedule. Here, seed potatoes are
generally available from early Feb, and usually planted out around mid-late
March according to frost predictions, (weather is always a bit of a lottery
in UK), but mine generally spend about 6 weeks in boxes on windowsills.
Sprouts don't get very long, maybe an inch, but the point is if they're
already sprouted when you plant them they can't fail to sprout. The tips
need to be protected against frost though, when they're showing and a frost
is forecast, cover them with soil. They'll come through again.

HTH,
Steve